CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

The tryouts ... poor kid!

Michael had his basketball tryouts yesterday and the poor kid was so sick. In the morning on the way to school he said his throat hurt, so after dropping him off, I went back home and got some throat drops and advil and brought it up to him. I asked the school nurse if it was okay if I left the advil and she said, no ... that they were not allowed to give it. To which I then asked, if I wait here until he comes to the office, can I give it to him? She said, that yes I could so when he came, I gave him the bag of advil and drops. I didn't realize that meant I had to physically put it in his mouth. He said after I left, he had gotten one down and she came and confiscated the second. But to no avail ... it had worn off anyway by the time the tryouts had started. He felt just awful. When he came home, he went right to bed and had a high temperature and I felt so bad for him. I wanted to call the coach and say, you need to take into account that Michael is really sick, but Jonathan said, NO WAY and so I didn't do anything. Then I wanted to email him and tell him but again I didn't do anything. It took an abundance of self control! So he said he did okay in the drills, missed both layups, and then in the scrimmage he didn't get the ball once. If he makes the first cut, he will have another shot on Monday (they find out on Monday) but if not, it's over for him. I hope he gets another chance, but if not, that's okay. It's so sad to think of your child out there so sick and having to perform like that. Poor kid! But as he tells me, "Mom, I'm not a baby anymore!"

I took the girls to the circus yesterday afternoon along with a couple of their friends. It came to the base and it was very good! I really want to go to Ringling Bros. and it probably wasn't quite that caliber but I give it a big thumbs up! They even brought in elephants and they did this elephant train and it was great! The acrobats were wonderful -- trapeze artists were great, too. They had these hula hoopers and they were doing about 20 hoops at once. Someone just kept throwing them over their head and they would take on that hoop, too, and they could get the ones on the ground and get it up with their foot and add it to the pile. That was fascinating to me! On the way back to the van (we parked rather far away), I was telling all the kids to hurry because I wanted to get out of there before we were stuck in traffic. This was for two reasons: It was getting dark and I had to bring one girl home on a very dark country road, and second, because a storm was coming and with the way I drive, I didn't want to be stuck with other people's children on my car. My kids are used to it but it may freak out another child if I had to stop and get myself together before driving further. So I was saying, hurry, hurry, hurry to get to the car. My kids did great, but you could tell the other two were not used to being with a neurotic person and didn't quite get the idea behind this rushing! So after we got home (safely) the storm did hit and it was a bad, bad one! There were tornado watches for a couple of hours and the winds were crazy! I'm truly glad I was not out in it because you couldn't even see.

2 comments:

Janus said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Michael. Hopefully he will get to come back on Monday.

Grant took Alexis to the circus about a month ago and she loved it. She saw a friend there and whenever they play together they always play circus.

I'm glad you made it home safely after the circus. I love living here in Minnesota, but I don't love all the tornado warnings and watches that we get around August-November. It gives me great anxiety to hear that there may be a tornado in the near vicinity.

Briana Ward said...

Poor Michael. I hope he get's feeling better soon. We were thinking about him all day and wondering how it went for him! Let us know what happens Monday!

I remember going to the circus with you guys when riley was little. We still have the picture of him with the gator guy in our computer room. I am just glad you guys got home safe! That is scary!!!