CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 15, 2007

SHOPPING EARLY THIS YEAR!

Jonathan and I have decided to get all of our Christmas shopping done very early this year, as in by the end of October. I have to say we are doing very well! Michael is done. Erin/Lindsey/Jenna are half way there - and Andrew is only getting one thing so that will be easy. Three presents each PLUS a couple of books. The one thing they are getting as a family gift is that Settlers of Catan game (thanks alot Sheila!) that Michael has been dying for and then the first two seasons of Different Strokes - with Arnold. I think the kids would love it! That show cracks me up! along with the 4th season of Cosby Show (had 3rd last year) and 2nd season of Dukes of Hazzard. I have to say that I completely do not enjoy sitting down with the kids and watching any tv show. Now late at night when they are in bed, Jonathan and I like a good episode of Law and Order, but not with the kids. I don't really like watching movies either because they are so long and I usually fall asleep if I'm sitting down for that long .. plus who has 2 hours all the time to sit - so these 1/2 hour episodes are perfect for this and they are just so funny! So now it comes down to ... if we never watch tv and I hate the shows that are on and I am having to buy all these dvd's of old tv shows, is it worth having cable? That is the question of the day! We got Satellite tv for Michael when we got here so he could watch more sports when his thoughts were so bad, but we hardly ever watch tv at all. I do LOVE having it at conference, though, and would dread the thought of going up to the church, but you can at least listen on the internet.

And, I am contemplating buying myself an old Atari system with Pacman, Centipede, Space Invaders, etc. I don't think playing video games for hours at a time is good, but I think it is a little fun to sit down and play with the kid. The problem is I truly do not understand the new game systems. I don't get all those fancy controllers. I am a simple minded person! So going retro just may be the thing to do!

4 comments:

Sheila said...

You're welcome on the Settler's game. You do know there's also an expansion set, too. So more people can play...:)

We got introductory cable special since we just moved in. All 9 zillion channels for a few months to see what we want for sure. Yikes. It takes half and hour to figure out what is on. Then you find something and say, well, let's see what else, and by the time you get back to wanting the first show you had on, you can't find it again, because what channel was that? It's dumb. We don't even watch that much TV either, but when we do, it's just easier to have 5 channels.

Thanks for the fruit fly thing, I'm trying it right now.

We love MASH now. We have all 11 seasons on DVD! I know, a little crazy, but they are so funny, and like you said, 30 minutes here and there is fun. I love the retro stuff! TV shows, video games, movies. David got me a rubix cube for my birthday! :)

Briana Ward said...

It sounds like the kids are going to have a great Christmas!! We just (I just) finished all our christmas shopping with the exception of my sister that I have this year and who ever we have on the ward side. it feels so good to not have to worry about it, and even better then that is I was able to pay for it all with ebay, now I just have to get to work to finish the orders I've taken.
How is Jonathan feeling?

Janus said...

OK, so we are a little later than others with Christmas shopping... It will probably get done the end of November... But then we don't have as many to shop for.

You do know that with the expansion packs (you would want the 6 player expansion, Cities and Knights expansion, and 6 player Cities and Knights) it would run $80+. You want the Cities and Knights for the border (keeps the game together) and the additional game play possibilities. We only have the 4 player game with Cities and Knights expansion and really enjoy it.

About Satellite service, both carriers (dish and directTv) have family programming packages. ~40 "family" channels plus networks. This generally runs about $30 a month. The family channels include Nick, Nick@nite(classic TV shows like cosby, MASH, and others), Hallmark (Murder mystery movies) Disney(directTv only), BYU TV (Conference), and other family stations. Anyway, that is an option instead of the Gazillion other stations you won't watch anyway.

Love reading your blog. (Janus too)

onedayatatime said...

I got the game and the expansion pack (for up to 6 players, I think that's what it was). Are you saying I need something else? I got mine on Ebay (where else?!) and paid $30 for both the game and the expansion pack. Let me know if I need more to make it fun.