CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Basketball Time Again!

Tomorrow is Michael's school basketball tryouts. I can't believe a whole year has passed since the last tryouts. I remember last year, I called the school and asked if he had made the first cut (because I couldn't stand now knowing). The secretary looked for his name and said no, so I was all ready to console him about this. He called that afternoon and said he had to stay for the 2nd round and I didn't want him to know I had called but didn't want him to make a fool of himself by showing up when he hadn't made it. So I discreetly said, Michael, I think your name has to be on that list to come back today. Did you check it and see your name on there? To which he replied that there were two Michael Wards in 6th grade who had tried out so as to not confuse them, they came and told him in person that he was to come back.

It is hard because there will be about 100 boys trying out for about 5-7 slots - so I guess if he makes it, that is fine but if he doesn't, that's okay too. There are lots of places here for him to play if he doesn't get on the school team. I'll just be glad when the tryouts are over. I don't remember getting all worked up when I was in school and the one trying out for things but with my kids, I about can't stand it!

If he does make it, however, we will be much smarter this year and force them to have the study hall they promised instead of having those boys sit in the locker room for an hour waiting for their practice. All those middle school boys sitting unsupervised in a locker room for an hour is nothing but bad new!.

The thing I love about Michael is that he is so diligent. He just does what he is supposed to do and he never quits. When I think of "endure to the end" I think of him because he doesn't make monumental progress, but he continually plugs away and keeps making incremental progress in all that he chooses to do. He is a very good example to me.

2 comments:

Briana Ward said...

Michael is good example to all of us! I hope he does well, let us know!!

Sheila said...

Michael is such a sweet young man! We just adore him. He's got a great mom and dad, too! We're getting ready to do YMCA basketball. It's fun, but I think I'll take the everyone can play and wait my turn for the tryouts! Scary! :)