CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Creation




I am rather proud of myself. Michael is going on a weekend trip with the Young Men to Baton Rouge, LA to do cleanups from Hurricane Ike. I do not believe in having a miserable time because of awful sleeping conditions while camping (which is what they'll be doing) and not knowing exactly what they will be seeing and with Michael's thought problems, I just wanted to make sure he would sleep well at night ... so I was trying out all different types of sleeping arrangements. Normally, we use air mattresses but lately ours have started to leak and I really didn't want to buy new ones because it seems like we always have leaking problems; so, I purchased Michael a folding cot. It folds into a bag really quite compact and takes up virtually no space. Then I thought the cot was not quite comfortable enough, so I got a foam mattress topper, you know, the egg crate type -- all grooved. Well that was very nice and comfy, but I thought still a little thin, so I went to Target today and was going to get a 2nd, but then I spotted mattress toppers filled with what, I don't know, probably polyester or something but for the purpose of camping, I thought they looked great. They were really marketed for dorm rooms, but with school shopping over, they were on clearance for $10 but rather cushy and thick, so I got one of those. The combination of those two was perfect, but I didn't want Michael to have bed pieces all over the place, so I dug in my linen closet and found a set of sheets we do not use and they are Navy blue -- what a great camping color -- 2nd best only to brown! Then I made the dreaded trip to take out my sewing machine, and goodness knows, I cannot sew but I willed myself to set it up and begin, and this was my final creation. I made a kind of duvet cover and stuck both the mattress topper and foam pad inside so that it can be all rolled up like a sleeping bag. Okay, for anyone with sewing talent, this would be pathetic but for my ability, I have to say I did a darn good job!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I'm proud of you - sounds (and looks) like you were a regular Martha Stewart. :)

Janus said...

I'm really impressed!